BEEF CABBAGE ROLLS
- 1.25 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced(1.5 cups)
- 1 medium green cabbage
- 4 vine tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium frying pan, sauté onion until soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a small, sharp knife, cut a circle around the stem and remove the core of the cabbage.
- Place the whole cabbage in the boiling water.
- After about a minute, the leaves will start to loosen- pull them off one at a time and out of the water with tongs.
- Repeat until you have 12 leaves. Pat the leaves dry with paper towels.
- Cut out the thick part of the rib from the bottom of each leaf; be careful not to cut more than a third of the way into the leaf. Set the cabbage leaves aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the raw beef, brown rice, and onion. Add ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- To stuff the cabbage rolls, put 1/4-1/3 cup meat (depending on how big the cabbage leaf is) in the middle of the cabbage leaf. Fold the sides into the middle and roll it in half.
- Place the cabbage roll into the pan with the folded sides down. Repeat until all the cabbage leaves are stuffed.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cumin and ½ teaspoon chili powder.
- Add spice mixture to pureed tomatoes. Pour mixture evenly over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Makes about 6 small servings
- 5 medium servings
- 4 large servings
- about 3 extra large servings.
Meatballs can be served by themselves with a dipping sauce such as mustard or in tomato soup (Make sure soup doesn't have added sugars/additives. As an alternative, you can puree tomatoes and add seasoning). You can also make this non-24DC family friendly by adding to spaghetti noodles and sauce.