- Protein of your choice, cooked & shredded if applicable (chicken, ground turkey, shrimp, fish)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- Pam non-stick spray
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 heads of romaine
- 2 roma tomatoes
- fresh salsa with cilantro, roughly chopped
- Place your protein in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cut yellow onion into ½ inch wide strips. Set aside.
- Cut bell peppers into ¼ inch wide slices. Set aside.
- Use non-stick spray to coat the bottom of a large frying pan.
- Add onion and bell peppers to frying pan and sauté over medium high heat.
- Once the onions start to become translucent, add the garlic.
- Add seasonings.
- Cook for 10 more minutes or until peppers have reached desired consistency. Set it aside in a large bowl and cover it to keep warm.
- Put diced tomatoes and fresh salsa into a bowl. Set aside.
- Assemble bowls with ingredients so that you can assemble your own taco. Fill romaine leaves with your serving size of protein, top with onion and bell pepper mix, and then finally with tomato and salsa.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
If you want to add carbohydrates to this meal, you can easily add black beans or brown rice. For a family friendly option, serve with whole-wheat tortillas.